A semi-daily chronicle of my life as a musician, a family man, and a citizen of Oregon.

Jan 13, 2008

Columbia Slough Trail

Today we went for a walk on what I think is called the Columbia Slough Trail, off of NE 33rd past the Oregon Food Bank.  It's an incredible place, as you walk along the wetlands by Marine Drive you're so near the airport that you can see the jets landing almost directly above you. 

The trail is a great mix of human activity and beauty.  It was a beautifully clear day (which was a nice change after the last week we've had of rain) and you could see across the airport towers to the enigmatic Mt Hood.  I was thinking about the other picture I got of Mt. Hood from Bigelow Canyon Wind Farm,  which is on the other side of the mountain.  I feel like Mt Hood is the mother of this part of the northwest, looking down on us all and observing our activity with care and patience.

Andrew brought his scooter and Brianna was on her bike and the trail is definitely a hit.  You always know you're doing something good when the kids ask if they can do it again.  I'm pretty impressed to - it'll be nice to have another place to jog besides my favorite track down the road where Whitaker Middle School used to be.